It’s Chimney Fire Safety Week!
This campaign is supported by HETAS and various fire safety organisations, and aims to provide consumers with information and guidance on keeping fire safe.
We’ve put together these top tips to keep fire safe, but for more information visit HETAS.
- Always use a professional and registered chimney sweep like us! https://www.hetas.co.uk/find-chimney-sweep/
- Always use only seasoned wood that is suitable for your appliance. Never burn damp wood! Hetas has a great advice page here which includes a wood fuel guide:https://www.hetas.co.uk/consumer/hetas-advice/
- If you’re fire isn’t roaring, don’t be tempted to add flammable liquids or sprays – these can be very unpredictable and can potentially cause an explosion which could harm you, your appliance, chimney and the wider area. Use dry kindling instead to get your fire started!
- We’re often asked how often a chimney should be swept. The answer is at least once a year, but it depends how often you use your fire, whether it is in good condition, what your insurance policy states, and the type of appliance and fuel you use. A sweep will not only clean your chimney, but also identify any existing or potential issues. More info here
- never slumber your stove. Slumbering is the term for when a fire is burning at a low rate to keep it going by restricting the oxygen flow, for example, overnight. Read more about this here.
- When you book your chimney sweep, make sure that they can also do a visual external inspection. We use drones to inspect chimneys at height – it’s far safer and we can show you the results directly. Contact us for more information.
- Our last tip is always use a reputable, professional and registered chimney sweep, like us! For more information or to book, call us on 07933 472226 . We are members of the Guild of Master Sweeps and HETAS registered, so you can be confident in our services. Keep fire safe!