We recently went to sweep a chimney in North Dorset which had a wood burning stove. We found it to be a poorly installed appliance – the customer was unaware of how dangerous the installation was, and in addition, didn’t have a carbon monoxide alarm fitted. When you have a stove installed, you should be advised that an alarm is essential.
In this instance, we had to leave a red card on the stove, indicating that it is dangerous to use in its current state. The customer was extremely grateful that we had highlighted this, and was going to raise it with their landlord. They are also aware of the dangers that we’ve highlighted if they do use their stove until the problems are fixed.
Your safety is our priority
It’s not just about sweeping, it’s always about safety. It’s not often we issue warnings, but on this occasion we had to leave a red card and issue a warning notice that is also copied to the Guild of Master Sweeps. We are fully trained to recognise unsafe installations, and to keep you and your home safe.